We know it is important to take care of our bodies. So many people try to exercise regularly. What most people don’t know is that the treadmill can also need care too! Treadmill maintenance is important. It makes your workout last longer and be more enjoyable. You won’t have interruptions like squeaky belts or an unlevel running surface
The treadmill is one of the most commonly used piece of equipment in a modern commercial gym. It is one of the most complex pieces of equipment. It has many parts that need to work together for it to work.
Do you love walking on a treadmill? If so, then it is important to know how to maintain your treadmill.
For example, a treadmill has different parts like the motor, treadmill deck, belt, incline control, display, console, etc. They all need to work in order for the machine to be able to do what it is designed to do.
Here are some tips for how to take care of your treadmill.
- How to maintain your treadmill: Follow This Guide Line
- Treadmill Maintenance Checklist
- Frequently Asked Questions about Treadmill Maintenance
- Final Thoughts
How to maintain your treadmill: Follow This Guide Line
Keep Your Treadmill clean
One of the most common causes for treadmills to wear out is due to dust. This includes all machines, regardless of where you purchase them from. It would be highly recommended that, every week at the very least, you clean the surface of the machine with a damp cloth or sponge. Cleaning the belt and sides of the treadmill is a good idea.
You should do this once a month to prevent dirt from affecting the treadmill motors or drive rollers .You should clean your engine three times a year. When you do this, take care to follow the instructions in the manual for good treadmill maintenance.
It is wise to use treadmill cleaning kit for best result.
Wear shoes when you use the treadmill. Pour water on a wet towel or rag to wipe up any spills. NEVER pour water on an electric folding treadmill!
Lubricate Your Treadmill
First, you need to find out if your treadmill needs lubrication or if it is one of the types that automatically does this. The latter have a special piece of wax that automatically greases the tape. In these cases, lubricating it would be a mistake because you could damage it.
On the contrary, If your treadmill needs to be lubricated, then you need treadmill lubricant. You should look up the instructions in the user manual to find out how to lubricate on treadmill.
Make Sure That Treadmill Are Properly Aligned
Occasionally, your belt can get twisted on your treadmill. To fix it, tighten the bolt on the back. Also, take care of left bolt and right bolt.
Over use may break down bolt head, keep this in mind.
Make small changes and check them to see if they work. If they do not, make another change. If you have problems with your treadmill, make sure to check the user instruction manual.
Control Motor Temperature
When you use your treadmill, the motor will get hot. It is important that it does not get too hot and so you should control the temperature. Make sure that it does not exceed 50 ° C. You should be able to touch the cover of the motor without burning yourself, if it is not so hot.
Control motor temperature by:
- Put the treadmill on a less intense level so it is not getting so hot.
- Slowing down is a way to reduce heat. If you still have problems, contact a service center.
The motor which is used to power the fan can also be cooled by spraying it with water from a spray bottle or wet cloth and wiping off any excess moisture after a few minutes.
Keep The Tread Tension
Even if you have a treadmill with pre-set tension settings, check the tread occasionally to make sure it is tight. The belt also stretches if you use it a lot. Proper use of the strap can cause the belt to stretch. If that happens, the tread will be loose and it will start to slip. That causes a lot of wear to the base and the tread.
On the other hand, when you are wearing a belt that is too tight, it can damage your motor or your drive rollers. But if the belt is not tight enough, it will not work well.
A simple way to check the belt tension is as follows:
- Turn on your treadmill and choose a slow speed program.
- Step on the band with one foot and push forward and down.
- If your belt slips, you need to fix it. It is a good idea to always look at the manual instruction if you are not sure about what to do.
Replace The Belt If It Necessary
All treadmills get old or used up with use. But they will not last forever. Some are better than others, but that is all too true for good ones also. So, It is recommended to check wear at least once every three months. It’s very easy to clean the belt.
All you have to do is slide your hand down the back of each step. If you feel like the band is worn and rough , then it’s time to change it up. A broken or worn belt can cause the machine to stop working. Be sure that your belt is not old and broken before you use it.
Time to time, All the parts of your treadmill will eventually break down. If you change your belt every so often, however, it can go for many years in one piece treadmill maintenance with this easy to do fix.
Use a treadmill mat
Treadmill mat is a plastic sheet for the floor. It keeps the floor around it from getting dirty or wet. This also protects you when you use your treadmill.
It is important to use a mat because they are not expensive at all. They usually cost less than $30. Plus, there are many benefits of using them:
- You will not need to clean the floor that much.
- They do not smell bad like carpets.
- Keeps the floor from getting dirty or wet.
- This mat helps to keep the noise down. It also prevents accidents when it slips off of a mat.
Protect Electrical System
Most treadmills today have an electrical tv screen that is controlled by a computer. For this reason, Plugging a computer with power cord into the power socket port can be dangerous. Voltage changes can cause harm. Be careful. When you use a voltage regulator or unexpected power surge protector, the electrical component is safer.
When your treadmill is on, make sure that you have no water or electric cables near it. If the treadmill starts going fast, electricity will flow from high to low voltage and that can cause a shock if there’s any moisture nearby. If there is a problem, the circuit breaker will be turned off.
Always Start With Low Speed
For good use of your treadmill, you should stand on the sides of the base , then turn on the machine and set a slow speed. The treadmill is where you walk on and it has a walking belt that moves. Walk on the belt so you can go faster.
Erratic speed may cause the machine to get off of what you’re doing.
Run More Walk Less
If you are going to use your treadmill, it is best for it to be used for running. During your exercise, it is important to maintain or do more than 6 kilometers per hour. Excessive walking on your treadmill makes it break. It is not a strict rule, but if you use your treadmill a lot, it will help it last longer.
Reduce Engine Effort
The last tip is about how much you do in your routine. Try increasing your running speed and making a few stops. This will reduce the continuous effort of the engine.
Treadmill Maintenance Checklist
-Put a cloth on the belt. Be careful when you clean because dirt can get caught in the belt. Put wires back to where they were after you take them off.
- Check the belt for wear and tear.
- Wipe down treadmills with a dry cloth to prevent dust from accumulating on the treadmill.
- Clean off sweat stains as soon as possible – moisture can lead to corrosion of metal, plastic, or rubber components in your treadmill.
- Store away all power cords after you are done using the treadmill.
- Put brake back to where it was after you take it off.
- Check the water tank for leaks and if possible, empty out any excess water from your tank before storing away in a dry place.
- Tighten all screws on treadmills that have them – this includes safety rails, handles, and the console.
- Dust off any excess dust and dirt that has accumulated on your treadmill – this will help to reduce the build up of grime in your machine belt over time, prolonging its lifespan.
- Apply a treadmill lubricant for any moving parts that are squeaking or sticking together.
- Replace safety railings every six months to avoid any accidents and prevent the machine from looking worn out.
- Replace treadmill belts every three months or anytime it feels loose, worn, broken, cracked, or frayed.
- Oil your belt with treadmill lubricant after you replace them for safety reasons – this will help the new parts work smoothly without friction.
- Adjust the tension of your treadmill belt. The correct amount should make it feel like you are walking on a carpet, not pavement or gravel.
- When you are done using your treadmill, make sure that all the dirt is off of it. This will keep the dirt on top of the machine where it can’t get into any cracks or holes.
Frequently Asked Questions about Treadmill Maintenance
Can I use WD 40 on my treadmill?
Yes, WD 40 is safe for treadmill belts. You can spray it on a clean rag and wipe the belt with that. The WD 40 will help remove any dirt from the surface of your belt so you don’t have to worry about getting dirty while maintaining your treadmill.
However, Don’t use WD-40 or other lubricants on the underside of a treadmill belt.
What happens if you don’t lubricate a treadmill?
If you neglect treadmill routine maintenance, the belt can become warped and cause excessive wear on your treadmill. If you don’t lubricate a treadmill, it could also lead to overheating of an electric motor or even get caught in the treads of the machine which will make for a much more expensive repair service!
What can I use to wipe down my treadmill?
Lubricating a treadmill belt is easy. You need to do this at least once every two months. But you should not use WD-40 or other lubricants on the underside of your treadmill belt. To spray the treadmill belt, be sure to be at an angle and wait for it to dry before using it again.
It is important to make sure that you remove oil from your hands before touching the belt of a treadmill. This will help the belt last longer.
The best way to clean off a treadmill is with soap and water. This will remove the oil, dirt, and sweat that has been on it since you used it.
You need to dry off your treadmill before you add any lubricant. You can buy it at a running store or sporting goods store.
To make it easier to exercise and get into shape, you should clean your treadmill. This will help keep it in good condition so that you do not have to worry about anything happening.
Why is treadmill squeaking?
Treadmill squeaking happens due to a buildup of dirt, sweat, or oil on the belt.
Clean off your treadmill with soap and water to remove all these things before adding lubricant.
- To stop squeaking in your treadmill follow this article
Is molecular treadmill model good?
Molecular treadmill model is good only if you are looking for a treadmill to store away.
If you want something that will actually work, then this is not the right model for you.
Can you spray 100% silicone treadmill lubricant?
No, you should not use 100% silicone treadmill lubricant. There are a few reasons for this:
– The silicone lubricant spray will build up on the belt and cause continued squeaking or make it worse than before. This is because it is very thick and cannot be washed off like water can do with soap.
– The silicone is thicker than the belt. This will cause it to wear down faster.
– You can use oil that is kind of wet, but not too wet. Make sure to use it sparingly and to keep using it. If you need a kind of oil for your treadmill, then make sure you only use a small amount and that you keep putting the same amount on every time.
When using the treadmill, make sure that it is clean. The belt should be free of debris. This will help keep the treadmill running smoothly and without any problems. Make sure that there is enough lubricant in the moving parts of the machine as well, which can be done with monthly regular maintenance by an professional repair technician or every few months if you do it yourself. Finally, check for wear and tear on anything else like belts or rollers; these items need to be replaced when they become worn out!
We hope these tips will help you keep your treadmill for a long time. It can be used for many more hours. It is important to check the instructions for your treadmill and do what they say. If you don’t do this, it could lead to problems.
By maintaining the machine with regular upkeep, it will continue to provide you with many more years of high quality service!